Are you looking for a service to get your email list cleaned? If so, you have landed on the correct page! Having a clean email list is utmost importance for the success of your email campaign. This will greatly uplift your email inbox rates which will give you more visibility, click throughs and eventually conversions. While most marketers believe that the size of the email list matters, let me tell you that it’s not the size but the quality of the email list which matters if you want high inbox deliverability rates. Sending email campaigns to a bad email list can get you into serious trouble getting your IP address, domain and brand blacklisted. And, the worst part is, once you get blacklisted, it is almost impossible to repair your reputation. So, it is always best to send email campaigns to a cleaned email list which has low bounce rates, good open rates, no spam traps and preferably an opt-in email list.
So, what exactly is an Email List Cleaning Service?
The email list cleaning service is basically a tool which cleans your email list and removes invalid, expired and spam trap email addresses. The email list cleaning tool will check whether the email address is in fact exists and whether emails can be delivered to it or not.
So, how do the Email List Cleaning Services work?
Each email list cleaning service available out there has their own way of cleaning the email list. But the main aim of those email list cleaning tools is to remove invalid, expired and spam tram email addresses.
Below is the general process most email list cleaning services use to get your email list cleaned:
Checking Syntax – There can be quite a few email addresses which are misspelt. For example, an email address which is @gmail.com could be misspelt as @gamil.com or an email address which is @yahoo.com could be misspelt as @yaho.com.
Verifying and classifying of role based email addresses – Your email list most probably would contain email addresses like info@, support@, sales@ and other role based email addresses. The email list cleaning service will check whether they still exist in the first place. If they do not exist, the will mark that email address as not working. Most email list cleaning services will also classify your email list pointing out whether the particular email address is role based or not.
Get rid of disposable email addresses – The email list cleaning service will check if the email address is a disposable one. A disposable email address is an email address which is used by people for a one time use. This happens when the person who registers on your website wants to use your service but doesn’t want to give up his / her real email address. The email list cleaning service identifies and removes such email addresses.
Validating MX records – This process checks the MX records of a domain. If the domain does not contain valid MX records, these email addresses are marked as non-working email addresses.
Detect spam traps – This is one of the most important features which you could use. Please note, not all email list cleaning services provide this feature. Before you use any email list cleaning service, make sure that they provide this feature. A spam trap is an email address used by ISPS to lure in spammers. If you send an email to a spam trap, the ISP which uses that spam trap to lure in spammers will black list your domain and IP.
In addition to the steps mentioned above, there will be other processes like sending SMTP pings to each email address to confirm whether the email address in-fact exists. Once the process is complete, the email list cleaning service will let you download your cleaned email list. Most providers also let you download bad emails including the reason why it was classified as bad for you to get a better idea as to why the email address in question is marked as bad.
Advantages of getting your email list cleaned
- Remove invalid email addresses so that you have a low bounce rate
- You will have a good sender reputation
- Minimum or no spam complaints
- If you have a good sender reputation, it will improve your overall domain reputation
- Higher open rates which derive higher click though rates
- Good open and click though rates improves inbox placements
- Reduce your cost for sending emails. Because you won’t have to send to non-existing email addresses. Sending email campaigns only to working email addresses requires lesser resources.
There are many more advantages of getting your email list cleaned but I have pointed out the ones which come to mind while writing this article.
Now that we have a good understanding on the advantages of having a clean email list. Let’s look into the most prominent email list cleaning service providers available online.
ListWise is one of the oldest email list cleaning services available online. All kinds of businesses use ListWise to get their email list cleaned and for better email list hygiene. They claim to guarantee a 99% email list cleaning accuracy. They also provide real time API using which you can verify email addresses in sign-up forms or registration forms which are available on your website to collect new prospects.
Some big names like Volvo, PWC, Pizza Hut, Samsung, MG, Cloudflare, Northumbria University in New Castle, Euronext and others use ListWise for their email list hygiene.
They have their headquarters setup in New Zealand and they also have an office in Australia. They also have world wide customer support in different locations so that they can provide support services in a timely manner.
ListWise Features (Extracted from their website) :
Email Syntax Check – ListWise makes sure that every email address is in the correct email address format.
Domains/MX Check – ListWise makes sure there is a valid mail server for every email address in your list.
Catch-All Detection – A catch-all mail server accepts both invalid and valid email addresses, which creates false-positive results.
Auto Typo Fixing – ListWise intuitively fixes obvious typos in the email address.
Free Domain Check – ListWise detects all free email addresses (Eg. gmail, yahoo, hotmail etc).
Temporary Emails Detection – ListWise detects all temporary/disposable email addresses.
Role-Based Emails Detection – ListWise detects all role-based email addresses (Eg. sales@, info@ admin@ etc).
Bounced Emails Detection – ListWise detects all email addresses that will bounce, when you send your email marketing campaign.
Spam-Trap Detection – ListWise detects all spam-trap email addresses and spam-trap domains.
Duplicate Emails Detection – ListWise detects all duplicate email addresses.
Invalid Emails Detection – ListWise detects all invalid email addresses.
No-Reply Emails Detection – ListWise detects all no-reply email addresses.
Real-time SMTP Handshake – ListWise performs a real-time SMTP handshake with the email provider to check the validity of each individual email address.
Anti-Greylisting Technology – ListWise uses intelligent anti-greylisting technology to be able to verify every email address, regardless of the email provider.
API Integration – The ListWise APIs allow you to easily integrate ListWise with other applications.
ListWise lets you to try out their service before you buy. They let you clean up-to 100 email addresses for free so that you can get a better idea of their service. After which you can choose to go for one of their 3 pricing options. They have “Pay As you Go” plan which you can use if you want to use the service for a one time clean-up, “Monthly Subscription” plan for email list cleaning and they also offer real-time API plan.
List Wise Pay As you go Plan
ListWise Mostly Subscription Plans
- $44/month for cleaning 10,000 Email Addresses
- $86/month for cleaning 50,000 Email Addresses
- $158/month for cleaning 100,000 Email Addresses
- $462/month for cleaning 500,000 Email Addresses
- $860/month for cleaning 1 Million Email Addresses
- $2,559/month for cleaning 5 Million Email Addresses
ListWise – Real-Time API Plans
- $408.00/month for 100,000 email addresses
- $662.00/month for 500,000 email addresses
- $1,010.00/month for 1 million email addresses
ZeroBounce is one of the best award winning email list cleaning service provider available online. They rank no. 487 on the 2021 Inc. 5000 list that honors the fastest-growing companies in the U.S. They proudly boast that their email list cleaning service is 98% accurate. It has also been featured in top notch places like Forbes, Business Insider, Entrepreneur and more! ZeroBounce has reputable clients like Hotjar, Samsung, Strava, LinkedIn, AirBnb and Intel.
- Remove invalid, expired and bad emails
- Spam Trap detection
- MX record validation
- Greylisting verification technology
- Email validation API
- Can be integrated with major email marketing services
ZeroBounce has one of the most flexible pricing options available for email list cleaning services
Free – Allows to clean upto 100 email addresses every month
Pay As you go – This “Pay as you go” pricing plan lets you clean upto 2,000 email addresses for just $16. The price for cleaning more email addresses can be seen on their cost calculator available on their website.
Monthly – The monthly subscription plan they offer starts at %15/month for 2,000 emails. The price for more email addresses can be calculated using their cost calculating tool available on their website.
Emailable, previous known as DataValidation is one of the best email list cleaning tools available today. I have no hesitation in recommending this service to anyone. They are the pioneers for email list cleaning service. Leading brands like SAP, rockcontent, leadlovers, Propel and Paragon Genomics use Emailable.
Emailable Features (Extracted from Emailable website)
- Disposable Email Detection – We check your emails against a frequently updated list of known temporary email addresses.
- Email Verification API – Use our verification software directly in your platform and seamlessly remove useless data.
- Accept-All Email Detection – We find which addresses are associated with Accept-All servers so you can assess the risk in sending to those addresses.
- MX Record Detection – Our system provides you with the MX record of each email address on your list.
- SMTP Provider Information – Automatically determine the email provider that each email address is using.
- Misspelled Domain Detection – Identifies common typos in the email address domain and suggests a potential alternative.
- Syntax Validation – Ensures the address has all the characteristics of a legitimate email address before you send.
- Domain Validation – Checks that the domain name hosting the email address actually exists and is working properly.
- SMTP Verification – Determines the deliverability of an email address through the SMTP server.
- Email Deduplication – Our system detects and removes duplicate email addresses from your lists.
- Role Email Detection – Pinpoints role-based email addresses that are not for personal use.
- Tagged Email Detection – Identifies email addresses in your list with added tags.
- Free Email Detection – Identifies email addresses that belong to a free email address provider.
- App Integrations – Integrate Emailable with the email service provider, customer relationship manager, and marketing platforms you already use.
- Email Quality Score – We give every email address on your list a quality score from 0 to 100.
- Anti-Greylisting Technology – Our system adheres to the latest anti-greylisting protocols to give you the most accurate results.
- Real-Time Results – View the results of your email verification as we process the list in real-time.
- Customized Exports – Handpick and export only the email addresses you want to send to with ease.
- Gender Detection – Our system attempts to determine the gender of emails in your list.
- Name Detection – Our system attempts to enrich emails in your list with a first and last name.
- Team Accounts – Share credits, monitor usage, and share results throughout your organization.
- Drag & Drop Interface – Easily drag and drop or copy and paste your email list directly from your computer.
- 99%+ Deliverability Guarantee – We guarantee that no more than 1% of your emails marked as “deliverable” will bounce.
- 24/7 Support – We’re here to help! Our friendly staff is available to answer questions through chat and email.
Their pricing starts at $30 for 5,000 email credits. You can use the cost calculator they have available on their website to calculate your budget depending on the size of your email list.
EmailListVerify is the cheapest email list cleaning option available in the market. Many small and medium size businesses use this service because it is cheaper than other options available out there. What more, they also claim that they provide 99% accuracy for their email list cleaning service. Capterra has rated them with 4.5 stars. EmailListVerify can also be integrated with leading email marketing service providers like MailChimp, Aweber, MailerLite, SendLoop, Gist, SparkPost, MailGun and more.
EmailListVerify Features (Extracted from their website):
- Domain & SMTP validation – We check the ISPs and remove all emails with invalid, inactive, parked domains or invalid accounts.
- Spam trap checker – Spam traps identify spammers and you don’t want to be one. We clean these traps to improve your reputation score.
- Disposable emails cleaner – Get rid of trash email addresses that live short. We identify temporary emails so your future emails will reach the target.
- Catch-all domains checker – We spot domains that return valid for all emails. Skipping them will improve your open rates.
- Syntax errors validator – Syntax error checker removes emails with invalid syntax. Notify your website users in real-time by implementing API
- Hard bounce checker – We send undetectable verifications to find out whether the email address really exists and can receive email messages.
- MTA validator – Is there an email server responsible for accepting email messages? We run advanced checks to validate MX records.
- Email duplicates remover – We detect and remove all duplicate emails. Don’t spend credits on duplicate emails when sending your next campaign.
EmailListVerify has been rated as one of the most competitive and reliable email list cleaning services out there due to its cheaper pricing. They let provide you with 100 free email cleaning credits when you sign up on their website after which you can choose to go for their Pay as you go plans or monthly plans.
Pay As you go – Their pay as you go plan at 12 sub-tiers. Under each plan you can find the number of emails you can clean for the price. Just $4 for cleaning 1,000 emails. Now, that’s cheap!
Monthly Subscription – They offer 6 monthly plans starting at $139 for cleaning and verifying 5,000 emails a day. Below you can see their monthly pricing plan along with prices.
MailboxValidator is one of the newest email list cleaning services available online. Even though it is quite new, it has good reviews on Trustpilot. They offer a 96% guarantee for their email cleaning service. They also offer domain and disposable email validation services. It can be integrated with popular email marketing softwares like MailerLite, MailChimp, Weber, Moosend, Sendgrid and more.
MailBox Validator Features (Extracted from their website):
- Email Syntax Checker – Validates that the email address conforms to a standard format.
- MX record MX Record Checker – Checks for the existence of mail server records in the DNS.
- MX Server Connection Checker – Tests for a successful network connection to the mail server.
- Email Greylisting Checker – Checks if the mail server uses spam trap as honeypot.
- Free Email Provider Checker – Checks to see if the email address is from a free email provider like Gmail.
- Disposable Email Provider Checker – Checks to see if the email address is from a disposable email provider like Mailinator.
- Suppressed Emails Suppressed Email Checker – Checks if an email is in our own Do Not Mail list.
- Role Email Checker – Checks if an email address is a role email like admin, support, webmaster or sales.
- Duplicate Email Remover – Removes duplicate emails in list to save cost.
- Bulk Validation Supported – Upload a mailing list to speed up bulk cleaning.
- Single Validation Supported – Validate a single email immediately.
- Free Bulk Trial – Free bulk trial plan with 100 credits.
MailBox Validator Pricing:
They have separate pricing structure for email list cleaning and API. They also offer a one month free trial which gives you 100 email cleaning credits.
- BULK-1 – $19.95/month for cleaning 1,000 emails.
- BULK-5 – $39.95/month to clean 5,000 emails.
- BULK-10 – To clean 10,000 emails, you’d have to pay $59.95/month.
- BULK-50 – Clean 50,000 emails at the cost of $149.95/month.
- BULK-100 – You can clean up to 100,000 emails at $199.95/month.
- BULK-500 – The $399.95/month plan will allow cleaning of 500,000 emails.
- BULK-1000 – You get to clean 1,000,000 emails by paying $699.95/month.
The name says it all! You guessed it right! NeverBounce cleans your email list so well that they guarantee a 0% bounce rate. They are also regarded as one of the pioneers for email list cleaning in the industry. Big brands such as Uber, Dell, Indeed, Yelp and more use NeverBounce to get their email list cleaned. Never bounce can be integrated with popular email marketing platforms like iContact, MailerLite, MailChimo, HubSpot and more!
NeverBounce Features (Extracted from their website):
NeverBounce is known for its flexible pricing options. They also provide you with 100 free email cleaning credits. All you have to do is sign up and upload your email list and you will be able to download your cleaned list in a moment’s notice.
Pay as you go plan – This plan offers multiple pricing tiers with different rates depending on your email list size. For 10,000 emails, you’ll be charged $0.008 per email. The price for each email cleanup goes down as your list size increases.
Sync (Automated Cleaning) – This is a subscription based plan starting at $10/month for cleaning 1,000 emails. For 10,000 emails it will be $49/per month and so on. Below picture will give you a better idea of their price for Sync plans.
If you are looking out for simplicity and quality, then, Xverify is the place to go! They are located in the European union, you can easily use Xverify to clean your email list using their EU-based data centres. They are highly secure and efficient. This email verification tool can be integrated with leading email marketing platforms.
Features of Xverify:
- Realtime email verification API
- Cleans invalid, expired or suspended email addresses
- Disposes of temporary emails
- A drag & drop file importer for list cleaning
- 3rd party integrations with email marketing tools
- Email alerts upon completing email list cleaning
- Detects spam complaints
Just like their simple email verification tool, they have a simple pricing structure too. They use “Pay as you go” payment plan which has multiple pricing tiers. To clean upto 5,000 emails you’ll be charged a rate of $0.01/email at the same time, if the number of exceeds 5,000 emails, then you will be charged at the rate of $.008 – $0.007 per email. You can see the picture below to get a better idea.
8. Pabbly Email Verification
Pabbly Email Verification service is one of the most accurate email verification services available in the market today. They do the email list cleaning at a slow pace and promise upto 98% accuracy guarantee.
Why Email Verification at Slow Speed is More Accurate? (From Pebbly website):
- To verify, we send a ping request to the recipients email server.
- The server responds back to the ping request and tells whether the email is valid or invalid.
- Sending ping requests at an ideal speed is very important.
- If you send pings too fast, the mail servers will either deny your requests or simply send you the wrong data. Which means more error in your data.
- We do human like pings with slower frequency which means we are able to get the best results our from your email list.
- That is why we claim to be the slow but the most thorough and accurate email verification service in the market with less false positives, less catch-alls and less unknown addresses.
Pabbly Features Email Verification Feature (Extracted from their website):
- Complaints Removed – All the emails matching our Database of complaints are removed
- Email Deduplication – All the duplicate Email addresses are removed automatically
- Removes Duplicates – We check for the duplicate email address when you import the list and remove them as well.
- Risk Validation – Runs scans against High Risk Keywords and TLDs that an email address holds.
- MTA Validation – Checks for the Email Transfer Agent on whether it has a Valid MX Records or not.
- Anti-Greylisting – With the latest anti-greylisting technology, we offer you the accurate results.
Pabbly Email Verification Pricing:
Pabbly provides one of the most affordable email list cleaning services. They have “Pas as you go” payment plans starting at just $5 for 1,000 emails, $15 for 5,000 email and so on!
Now that you have seen the available services for email list cleaning and verification it’s time you pick the one which will suit your requirements the most. Please do not ignore the seriousness of having a good list hygiene to avoid last moment dissapointments. Once your domain or IP is blacklisted, you will be in serious trouble. As mentioned in the beginning of this article, it is almost impossible to get your email reputation repaired once it is damaged.
With that said, I hope you enjoyed this article and that you found some good providers for your email list cleaning. If you feel that we should add any other email list cleaning service to this list, please be kind enough to get in touch with us!